Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

Has Business Casual Gone too far?


If you attend most major large company’s sales conferences or off-site sales training sessions you will generally find more golf shirts than at a PGA tour event. Golf shirts and dress paints for men have become synonymous with the term ‘business casual’. Is this a good thing for selling?
When I was a kid I don’t ever remember my Dad going to work as a sales professional in anything other than a suit and tie. Even as a young guy I thought it looked pretty impressive that my Dad wore a suit and tie to work every day.
I often struggle to know what to wear when the dress code calls for ‘business casual’. For me a golf shirt and khakis feels too casual, I try to limit the golf shirt to only the hottest of summer days. The rest of the time I feel most comfortable at work in dress paints and dress shirt with no tie for the days I will be only in the office.
I am fortunate the company I work for still has a suit and tie policy for customer visits. Likely this isn’t a written policy, more a generally accepted practice as part of the working culture. I like the idea of knowing that when I will be meeting with a customer, my colleagues and I will be wearing a suit and tie. It is simple. No guessing.
This is not common place anymore. When I see other account managers at customers I rarely every see others wearing a suit and tie. For me I gain a subtle hint of confidence from this. I know I and my colleagues have made the effort to dress for success during our customer visit.
You don’t have to look hard on the internet to find motivational coaches providing the benefits of dressing for success.
By Zig Ziglar

So with all this being said, has business casual gone too far? There is too much of a good thing. Dress down Friday extends into off site meetings and trainings. Then business casual seems to fit in the hotter summer months. Before you know it you are only wearing a suit for Weddings and Funerals. When do you draw the line?

I suggest that you try to make an effort to steer yourself always towards more formal than casual. After all I have never met a customer or colleague that got upset because I was dressed well. Most of the time; you may hear, ‘why so dressy?’ The perfect time to reiterate the importance of the meeting or person you are meeting with.

6 comments:

  1. I can agree with this article to a degree. Although it depends on the location as well. When I was in Seattle working in mortgage firms I wore a full suit, tailored and wrinkle free. But here in the Bay Area (San Jose) the trend is the "business causal" whereas it's a hotter than Seattle. The trend I see here is a pair of jeans with a dress shirt not tucked in ironed with a rock. So who wants to be sweating in they're nice suits and have to pay extra for the removal of sweat stains on your dry cleaning bill, when no need for dry cleaning or have to iron your shirt. Another approach to this is, when meeting a customer you want to be relaxed so they feel comfortable, without giving off the look "to get they're money". I do IT now and I would be fully dressed to interviews, and they always ask if I could take off my blazer and lose the tie. Well I did just that, and got the job during the process. I don't do sales but I like to look professional. I just be a chamillion to the environment. But you bring up a good point, "How do I know what to wear?". I keep it safe by wearing a slacks with white shirt and tie while I leave the coat in the car unless I need it. Just to mess with everyone I put on a suit one day and starting pulling servers on a pile-jack through the campus so i can work on them in the lab. Someone asked, why are you pulling all this, I said "it's because I get sh*t done".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feedback Jeremy. It is hard to have a one size fits all policy. Certainly in warmer climates suits make less sense. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew,

    I used to wear a suit and tie to work every day for 8 years. I wasn't uncomfortable, and as an insurance agent at the time it reinforced my professionalism.

    For the last 14 years I've worked in a completely different industry and honestly never feel a need to wear a suit. First because I am rarely in front of clients. But even when I go to visit clients in person, my client base is such that business casual is what they expect. If I show up wearing a tailored suit and tie, they are very likely to think htey could never afford to do business with me.

    On the personal side, I haven't even donned a suit for weddings and funerals (and there have been many over the last few years). It's not that I wouldn't but it rarely makes a difference to anyone but me. Even my father, who wore a suit every day of his 35 year career, has made it clear he doesn't want any suits at his funeral - and certainly doesn't want to be buried in one!

    Times and attitudes change. I appreciate 'the edge' you gain from wearing a suit, but don't be surprised if 5 years from now you have a different perspective.

    cheers~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vince thanks for your comments. The view I take is that we are care taking our professions for the next generations. If we go too casual then the next generation will turn up for work in running shoes and jeans. All the best.

      Delete
  4. I think business casual can go to far and in some cases has gone to far.

    I wear suits when out visiting clients and that includes the summer (I live in Atlanta so 100 degrees and 85% humidity). This is mandated but I concur with the mandate. In my opinion when visiting a client you should be wearing no less than a suit and tie. With the exception of manual labor. In the office I wear a button down shirt and dress pants. That said years ago I lived in Denver I worked for a large health insurance carrier and I wore t-shirts and jeans to work everyday. I always pushed the envelope to see how far I could go and no one seemed to care. While it was comfortable it felt really odd.

    I think there is something to be said for dressing for success especially when the envelope is getting pushed further and further these days. When I was a kid my father had to wear a suit and tie to the office which was normal for the time, but the kicker is they were only allowed to wear white shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steven thanks for your comments. All the best.

    ReplyDelete